Tradical® Hemcrete® is a bio-composite building material made from hemp shiv (the woody core of Industrial Hemp) and a lime based binder called Tradical® HB.
Tradical® Hemcrete® is made and sold in the UK by Lime Technology under licence from Lhoist.
Tradical® Hemcrete® has the following properties:-
- Good thermal insulation
- Excellent thermal inertia
- Negative embodied carbon
- Easy to use
- Made from renewable/abundant UK materials
Tradical® Hemcrete® is normally used to create the walls of new buildings, but can also be used in the refurbishment of existing buildings.
Tradical® Hemcrete® has a unique combination of insulation and thermal inertia and these properties combine to create building with very stable internal environments that need very little heating or cooling (if appropriately designed and constructed). Recent research at The BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials at The University of Bath has shown that the dynamic performance of Tradical® Hemcrete® is even better than previously thought once it is fully dry. However, the drying of Tradical® Hemcrete® can be challenging if construction takes place at the wrong time of the year. In order to overcome this, we have recently launched off-site building systems where the Tradical® Hemcrete® in the factory made panels is dried BEFORE it is delivered to site.
For further information please contact our sales team on or 0845 603-1143.
Our off-site panel systems are:-
Hembuild®: A structural walling system for low-rise buildings (up to 3 storeys).
Hemclad®: A cladding system for large-scale building with a primary structural frame.
To help you decide whether to use site cast or sprayed Tradical® Hemcrete® or an off-site system we offer the following advice:-
- For use where the Tradical® Hemcrete® will be installed between the beginning of March and the end of July.
- For use where the programme is relaxed (e.g. self-build projects).
- For use where a programme over-run does not have severe penalties.
- For use where the construction takes place all year round.
- For use where programme certainty is critical.
- For use where time on-site needs to be minimised.